The Kyokushin Dojo Kun or Dojo Oath was written by Sosai Masutatsu Oyama. It comprises a list of rules to follow in the dojo, but moreover throughout your entire life. The Dojo Kun is recited at the end of a training session. The most senior student recites the dojo kun out loud with each student repeating the words after him/her while sitting in seiza. Studying the dojo kun is an excellent way to try to understand the philosophy of Kyokushin Karate.
1. We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaken spirit.
2. We will pursue the true meaning of the martial way so that, in time, our senses may be alert.
3. With true vigour, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self-denial.
4. We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
5. We will follow our religious principles and never forget the true virtue of humility.
6. We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
7. All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfil the true meaning of the Kyokushin way.