At EMAR Dojo, we believe that a student’s total well being, both psychological and physical, can be strengthened simultaneously. While the physical aspects of exercise and Martial Arts training improve your general health, it likewise improves emotional health with increased self-esteem and self-confidence as well as decrease tension, stress, anxiety and depression. Here are just a few of the Benefits of our Martial Arts Programs for our students both children and adults:
- Self-Defence – The instructors at EMAR dojo have trained for many years to make sure everything we teach is reality based. We’ve trained under some of the best martial Artists in the world and are dedicated to staying on the cutting-edge of REALISTIC martial arts training – for ourselves and for our students!
- Focusing and Listening – we know Focus plays a key role in the mindset of children and adults who have limited attention span. Our Program will build your attention span teaching you to focus on the task at hand while improving your listening and reaction skills at the same time. As a result, you will excel in physical activity, improve your ability to stay focused, and become an astute listener in the dojo, at home and in life in General.
- Teamwork and Positive Social Interaction – Teamwork is necessary for anyone to develop and be successful. Our activity based curriculum and teamwork oriented environment, develops character and teaches you that the more we work together in the dojo, at home and at school…the more we get accomplished.
- Self-Control and Good Decision Making – Self-control refers to the training that one gives one’s self to accomplish a certain task or to adopt a particular pattern of behaviour, even though one is unfocused or would rather be doing something else.
- Balance and Posture – one of the skill sets that is often overlooked, but needs constant work and attention is balance and posture… basic skills necessary for almost any activity. Poor posture leads to cramped organs, improper breathing, and a whole host of other unhealthy bodily expressions. Our specifically designed Programme helps to build strong balance, healthy postures and balanced movement through the use of age appropriate forms and drills – often presented as various engaging games, to help students improve these fundamental skills.
- Memorisation and Retention – At EMAR dojo/club, we utilise fun and effective memory and retention drills for both Martial Arts and real world applications. Young and adult students will learn Martial Arts etiquette, skill-based and technique driven retention exercises. Our program improves memorisation skills essential for well rounded student development and school academics.
- Self-Discipline and Responsibility – At EMAR dojo, you will begin to improve your ability to initiate accountability, follow directions and take pride in doing the right thing.
- Physical Fitness and Healthy Living – It is important for children and adults to understand the importance of being healthy and physically fit. The sooner we enforce this concept, the healthier you will be and the less difficult it will be to stay physically fit as you grow older. At EMAR dojo, we stress the importance of good eating while physical fitness activities are always fun and rewarding.
- Coordination and Motor Skills – Our Coordination and Motor Skills Training will develop your cardiovascular system, muscular strength, and will create a general kind of body awareness which can only be gained from a whole body method of Martial Arts training. At EMAR do, you will be more coordinated, less susceptible to injuries, and be much more aware of you body and how to use it correctly.
- Self-Esteem and Confidence Building – we will help you improve your self esteem through consistent positive verbal reinforcement. When our students work to earn their next belt level, not only are they learning practical self-defence, they are building self-esteem and learning to feel good about themselves. Nothing can take the place of the security in knowing that you can defend yourself should the need ever arise…and your own child’s self confidence in knowing this themselves is immense.
“People who continue to practice the martial arts for prolonged periods are different from the general populace in these ways: they have a lower level of anxiety; an increased sense of responsibility; they are less likely to be radical; they have an increased level of self-esteem; and they are more socially intelligent.” (Source – Psychology Today, May 1985.)
- Respect – One of the most important words in martial arts is respect. Students are taught to respect their instructors, each other, and themselves. Respect is often missing in many facets of today’s society. This is what separates Elite Martial Arts Richmond from other sports. A child’s and also an adult’s social behaviour should be directly linked to his or her progression in the martial arts class. It’s not just about winning, its about personal growth and becoming a better person.
- Great Physical Fitness while Battling Obesity – Did you know that obesity has more than doubled in the past 25 years? The first step to preventing obesity is addressing the problem before it occurs. If you catch obesity early on, there are ways to prevent from developing further health risks. If you are already overweight, it is important to understand the psychological effects obesity has that are potentially more damaging than the physical side effects.Our Martial Arts academy is dedicated to empowering our students with self-confidence while rewarding them with achievement. For students with low self-esteem issues, martial arts teaches confidence and self-discipline while providing engaging physical activity. The stamina and endurance students develop during Martial Arts training results in natural weight loss and an improvement in overall physical and mental health.
- Personal Attention – At Elite Martial Arts Richmond, We know the impact a good instructor can have on a student. Our fully Certified Instructors are experienced, patient, enthusiastic, and teach with a perfect blend of discipline and fun.
- Social Skills and Friendship – Making friends is an important part of our lives. At our dojo, we provide the positive atmosphere and family oriented activities necessary to help our students make new friends, while teaching them the concepts of sharing, compassion, and conflict resolution
- Smile, Laugh and Having Fun –after many years of teaching, we realised that students learn faster when they are having fun. Traditionalists are usually only concerned with the discipline and structure of their training, but incorporating fun involving proper techniques will add to the value of training and keep our students hungry to improve themselves even more.In addition to our regular classes we host numerous events for our students including seminars, inter club competitions, day/nights out and Summer and Winter training camps. We all have a great time meeting new friends while developing character and learning life-changing martial arts skills.